ATSC 3.0 Backward Compatible SFN In-Band Distribution Link and In-Band Inter-Tower Wireless Network for Backhaul, IoT and Datacasting
(Paper available in the Proceedings of the 2020 BEIT Conference)
Last year, we presented a ATSC 3.0 backward compatible in-band backhaul system. In this paper we will present the field measurement results that support the viability of the in-band backhaul system implementation using full-duplex transmission. We further present a full duplex Inter-Tower Communication System – a re-configurable wireless network for SFN broadcasting, in-band inter-tower communications, and IoT/datacasting applications, while backward compatible with the ATSC 3.0.
(1) SFN Broadcasting:
- Improve service quality for mobile, handheld, and indoor receptions;
- Allow new services: IoT, connected car, datacasting;
- One-to-many timely services for large rural areas for traffic map update, weather conditions, emergency warning.
(2) In-band Distribution for SFN
- Eliminate studio-to-tower link spectrum requirement;
- Reduce broadcast operating costs;
- Spectrum sharing and re-use.
(3) Inter-Tower Wireless Network
- Scalable & reconfigurable network embedded in a broadcast system;
- Broadcast network cue & control that do not rely on other telecom infrastructure – surviving emergency and nature disaster;
- Backhaul data services among towers: IP-based IoT, and wide-area datacasting;
- Each tower can broadcast localized content in its coverage area (TDM/LDM);
- Inter-Tower Network can work under SFN, OCR, or Multi-Frequency Network environments;
- Full-Duplex Transmission: Transmitting and receiving on the same frequency – improving spectrum efficiency;
- Dynamic Spectrum Re-Use and Sharing + LDM: Converging Broadcast and Wireless Broadband Services.
This session will be rebroadcast on the BEIT Express channel on May 13, 2020 at 9:15 p.m. and May 14, 2020 at 5:15 a.m. EDT (UTC -4).